THE PROPERTY TAX GRIEVANCE PROCESS
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO (It’s easy as 1, 2, 3):
- SIGN the Property Tax Reassessment Specialists application
- CLICK SUBMIT. We will update you frequently and keep you informed along the way.
- SIT BACK and start planning what to do with your savings! When you receive a reduction, your next tax bill for the tax year grieved will be adjusted to reflect your new assessment. Property Tax Reassessment Specialists will notify you once your reduction has been won and bill you only after the tax rates for that Tax Year have been published by your town. This is how we can calculate the exact amount of your savings.
What Property Tax Re-Assessment Specialists WILL DO FOR YOU?
- We will send you a confirmation within 1 week of receiving your application. This is not only to acknowledge that we received you’re application but it gives you a chance to confirm and/or add any additional information you may have omitted.
- We will represent you at the Board of Assessment Review (BAR)
- We will prepare and file all of the necessary paperwork.
- We will appear before the board as needed.
- The BAR may request additional information to proceed with your case. We will notify you with any requests and ask that you send them to us as quickly as possible.
- You are NOT required to submit to an inspection of your home even if “requested” by the B.A.R. or the Assessor. The practice of demanding an interior inspection of your home was found to be unconstitutional and against your 4th Amendment rights.
- The BAR has 3 to 5 months (depending upon your Township/County) to review your grievance and render a decision. They will than approve or deny your grievance. Remember – your assessment cannot go up because you filed a grievance.
- FYI: most cases are denied at the BAR level.
- We have the option of filing an appeal or Small Claims Assessment Review (S.C.A.R.) if your case is denied or if you received a reduction (at the BAR level) but your case warrants a further reduction.
- S.C.A.R. appeals have proven to be extremely successful. In many instances, it is the only means of obtaining a fair reduction.
- There is a Court-imposed Filing Fee of $30 required for S.C.A.R. The $30 fee enables the purchase of an index number and guarantees that your case will have its “day in court”.
- Should your case merit an appeal, we will request that you send us the $30 filing fee so that we can purchase your index number.
- After we purchase your index number we will submit the appropriate forms with in the required jurisdictions (i.e., Town Assessor, School Board, Town Clerk, County Finance Dept., etc.).
- We will prepare a comparable market analysis to be used in negotiations with your local assessor and/or presented in court.
- We will appear in court as required and present your case.
- Once your appeal is filed, it is up to your local Supreme Court as to when your case is scheduled for a hearing.
- Due to the overwhelming number of S.C.A.R. appeals being filed in recent years, and the recent budget cuts by New York State, it may be some time before your case is actually heard. Rest assured, once an appeal is filed IT WILL BE HEARD. We can not do a thing until your (index) number is scheduled for a hearing.
- Property Tax Re-Assessment Specialists is committed to making this pain-free for each of our clients! We welcome and encourage you to call us anytime if you have questions.